A former bodyguard of Kenya’s
first vice president claims he was sacked from the police service more
than four decades ago for failing to spy on his boss.
A
former officer, who worked for Jaramogi Oginga Odinga, has narrated how
being loyal to Kenya’s first president made him languish in poverty.
![]() |
| Photo of Solomon Mulang'a, the old man who was dismissed for not revealing a high-profile secret. |
Solomon Mulang served in President Jomo Kenyatta’s security detail, he
was a close friend of Odinga
before he was unceremoniously dismissed
from the service because of the relationship he had with the VP.
“I had been recalled to general duties from Jaramogi Odinga’s escort
detail after he formed the opposition party, Kenya Peoples Union (KPU),
when one day I was told that Mr Hinga wanted to see me at his office in
Gill House. I froze literally,” narrates Mulang’a.


“He
told me he had heard that Mr Odinga and I enjoyed a deep relationship.
After a pause, he looked me straight in the eye and said he wanted me to
tell him what Mr Odinga and Ugandan President Dr Milton Obote talked
about when the two leaders met at the Rock Hotel in Jinja.”
“My conscience could not allow me to betray Jaramogi who had treated me well for the three years that I had been with him."

Solomon and his wife. Image Courtesy
"What
followed was a bombshell when Hinga ordered Mulang’a to go back to his
rural home in Kitui District and not even venture in Kitui town for five
years.
"His certificate of discharge
seen by the Nation reads the officer had resigned after serving the
force for seven years, four months and 17 days, but Mr Mulang’a says the
certificate was illegally issued to cover up his unlawful dismissal.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the latest News on dj afamacyNews App
“And
to ensure I never pursued any legal redress over my unlawful sacking,
Mr Hinga further ordered me never to set foot in Nairobi for five years
“I
gave up on any hopes of ever getting justice, I couldn’t have appealed
as the Attorney General then was Charles Njonjo, a man known to have
political differences with Jaramogi, the man I was accused of
supporting,” he said.
This is no
doubt a pathetic tale; when did being faithful become a problem that
could rob one of an everlasting key to happiness?

No comments:
Post a Comment